First Party Defense / Bad Faith
Doyen Sebesta & Poelma, LLLP takes great pride on the breadth of its experience in assisting insurance carriers in the evaluation of coverage issues during the claim process, through the preparation of coverage opinions and in defending insurance carriers in first-party and bad faith litigation in state and federal courts throughout the country. We are dedicated to identifying and evaluating the coverage issues as soon as practical and providing quality advice based on an objective interpretation of the policy language and a thorough understanding of the facts and the legal issues involved in a claim. Our goal is always to assist the insurance carrier in resolving claims in an efficient manner while understanding the rights and obligations of the respective parties to the insurance contract.
We prepare coverage opinions which are well reasoned and provide our clients with the information necessary to properly evaluate available options and to assist in reaching a well-reasoned and focused resolution in a timely and efficient manner. Despite thorough evaluation and preparation, there are times when litigation is the only available course with a matter. In those circumstances, Doyen Sebesta's trial lawyers are prepared to vigorously represent our client’s interests, whether it requires filing a Declaratory Judgment to determine the insurer's rights and obligations under the policy or through defending the insurer against claims by the insured.
At Doyen Sebesta & Poelma, LLLP we have been retained to advise carriers in a broad range of factual and legal circumstances and scenarios. Our experienced lawyers are qualified to handle any issue which may arise in a dispute related to the interpretation of an insurance contract, including:
- Bad faith and extra-contractual damages
- Coverage disputes across various lines of insurance, including but not limited to general liability, professional liability, property, business interruption, homeowners, and inland marine
- Interpretation of standard form excess and umbrella liability policies, as well as unique manuscript policies
- Coverage disputes in products liability litigation and business litigation
- Coverage disputes related to employment practices claims, including wrongful termination, sexual harassment and employment discrimination
- Coverage disputes relating to advertising injury claims and under Directors and Officer’s liability policies
- Coverage issues arising under errors and omissions policies issued to lawyers, accountants, insurance agents and real estate agents
- Reinsurance issues
Since the rapid increase in the volume of bad faith litigation arising out of hurricane and other catastrophic weather events, Doyen Sebesta & Poelma, LLLP has been a proactive and pioneering partner for various insurance carriers, and their adjusters in litigating and resolving both legitimate and unfounded claims by insurers and their counsel.
At Doyen Sebesta & Poelma, LLLP, our commitment to excellence and personal relationships with our clients coupled with our varied experience provides a distinct advantage to our clients in the evaluation and handling of their coverage issues and first-party claims. Our size also allows us to maintain a personal touch with all clients while handling cases in an effective and efficient manner.